MATERIAL AND WELDING ENGINEER required by our client, an international oil and gas Operator, to be assigned on a Contract basis, located in Houston, TX.
Duration: 24 Months ongoing
Assist the project during all the phases of the project to deliver a cost effective (OPEX/CAPEX) and optimized design of the facilities that meets the requirements of the project in safety, reliability, operability and maintainability for a 25-year design life. Provide Material, Welding and Non-Destructive Examination expertise and ensure consistency of design, execution planning and operational aspects of this discipline for the project package. In addition to the above, provide technical assistance to the UFR team during the FEED phase of the UFR package.
- Take Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) lead in ensuring “safe systems of work” and “safe conditions” are in place within area of responsibility
- Demonstrate visible commitment to HSE by periodically leading/taking part in risk assessments, audits, HSE meetings, emergency drills. Provides support to Safety Management System
- Ensure Engineering activities are performed in compliance with a high regard to Health, Safety, Security and Environmental requirements
- Verify the work related to material, welding and NDE discipline within the Engineering Team to ensure that schedule, technical, quality and HSES requirements are met or exceeded for UFR and FPU packages.
- Provide reporting function towards the Engineering Manager for all work activities within area of responsibility, bring to earliest attention issues which present a significant threat to the FPU and UFR Package and offer mitigating measures / work plans
- Supervise and Coordinate with ENGINEER all Material, Welding and NDE related activities for the project covering both FEED and Detailed Engineering Phases
- Participate within the FPU package team to the Fabrication Yards evaluation for all aspects related to Material, Welding and NDE but also covering to some extent QA/QC and procurement activities aspect by attending clarification meetings with the yard and site visits.
- Work closely with the QA/QC team:
- Participate in new VENDOR qualification attending audits for all aspects related to his/her discipline
- Participate in Yard audits
- Participate in ITP definition and attend some critical hold point during fabrication at VENDOR or at Yard worksites related to Material, Welding and NDE activities
- Participate in the follow up of ENGINEER procurement activities for the disciplines and subject he/she is in charge of. Review the RFQ dossier to ensure that requirements related to Material, Welding and NDE are complete and in compliance with the project specifications, Class and Regulatory requirements.
- Participate to constructability analysis of the FPU in coordination with the Fabrication Yard and ENGINEER
- Provide technical assistance to the FPU team located at the Fabrication Yard(s) (Engineering coordination team, Quality surveillance team and Construction team) related to material, welding and NDE disciplines for bulk material procurement and construction activities of the Yard(s) and its subcontractors.
- During the execution phase of the project, perform the work as described in this Job description mainly from the project engineering office with some visits to the FPU fabrication yard(s) and vendors fabrication sites.
- Participate in project meetings and reviews (i.e. design reviews, Interface meetings, HAZIDs / HAZOPs / technical reviews, constructability reviews, workshops)
- Prepare project documentation (specifications, MEMOs, reports, etc…) when required
- Review and comment on project documentation from external consultants and engineering contractors and subcontractors
- Contribute to the technical evaluation of engineering, procurement, fabrication, installation and review/approval of deliverables from the design contractors, subcontractors and vendors
- Promote cost-saving solutions in the design, clearly identifying potential deviations from Our Client's referential and reporting these to the relevant entity for final decision on whether or not to implement
- Monitor interfaces related to material and welding with all relevant packages
- Review and comment on ENGINEERING deliverables, ensuring that they meet project requirements and industry standards
- Provide prompt response to technical queries, deviation requests and unexpected technical problems from ENGINEER
- Participate in technical reviews as required
- Ensure proper reporting, highlighting critical issues to the project management and proposing remedial actions
- Contribute to improving the project lessons learned
- Ensure that the FPU and UFR package components are designed in accordance with the Class rules, Regulatory requirements and Project specifications.
- Provide effective leadership in identification and resolution of external and internal interfaces
- Ensure identification and resolution of detailed interface issues, in conjunction with managers / senior discipline engineers, in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- Ensure operations and maintenance requirements are incorporated in the design
- Provide effective leadership in quality performance
- Participate in project reviews as required
- Gather 'lessons learned' and provide feedback to other company entities as required.
- Ensure that the correct implementation of Digital systems in accordance with the Project's Management of Technical Information Plan and in consultation with the Project Digital Lead
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Master of Science degree in Material, Welding and NDE
- 12+ years' experience working for consulting engineers or oil and gas exploration / production companies with a proven track record in similar positions
- PE registration in Texas (preferred)
- Specialization: Material, Welding and NDE
- Minimum 5 years of experience in fabrication Yards
- Experience in fabrication Yard audits related to Material, Welding and NDE
- Firsthand knowledge of GOM Deep Water Developments
- Excellent organizational skills and commitment to meeting deadlines
- Problem solving skills for complex and integrated processes
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Conflict management and problem solving skills
- Analytical, interpretative and / or constructive thinking and evaluative judgment
- PC skills