DRILLING ENGINEER, required by our client, an international oil and gas Operator, to be hired on a contract basis, located in Hassi, Algeria.
- The purpose of this position is to provide the necessary office support to enable rig site operations to proceed smoothly, including liaising with all service company representatives to support rig site operations and providing operational support when rig site problems arise.
- The position is expected to contribute to the departmental goal of reducing cost whilst increasing efficiency.
- Prepare and implement operations programs and monitor daily drilling operations.
- Prepare drilling programs for each well. Prepare changes to programs in the event of unscheduled events ie squeeze procedures, side track procedures, temporary abandonment procedures. Prepare post-well appraisal reports.
- Assist Drilling Supervisor with implementation or casing running and cementing programs. Review final casing and cementing reports prepared by Drilling Supervisors. Review and recommend changes to cementing contractor proposals.
- Monitor rig activity and plan for the timely arrival of personnel, materials, equipment and services at the rig.
- Prepare work orders for service companies.
- Monitor daily cost reports from the rig site.
- Review and analyze past drilling programs and actual well data in an effort to identify safer and more environmentally sound operations techniques, and areas where innovative drilling ideas can be implemented.
- Keep abreast of the latest technological developments.
- Responsible for bit selection recommendations and bit hydraulics. Responsible for reviewing bit performance by hole section and analyzing the data by benchmarking against the potential best well. Prepare post-well analysis of bit performance.
- Provide written specifications to the Material & Logistics Coordinator for procurement of well equipment.
- Prepare monthly well operations reports.
- Monitor daily drilling progress and update the appropriate charts and directional well course maps.
- Plan, implement and monitor drilling fluid properties and ensure that post-well mud appraisal reports are prepared by the drilling fluid contractor.
- Plan, implement and monitor cementing design proposals and ensure that post-well cementing appraisal reports are prepared by the cementing companies.
- Prepare calculations and make recommendations pertaining to casing, tubing and drillstring designs.
- Interact with Engineering Manager, Operations Supervisors and Subsurface team. Liaise with the representatives from the Geology, Reservoir and Production Departments during the planning, execution, and post-well analysis stages for each well.
- Stand in for Drilling Supervisor or Drilling Superintendent if required
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree or equivalent in Engineering or related discipline
- International Well Control certification
- Broad-based drilling knowledge - familiar with directional, extended-reach, horizontal, multi-lateral and workover operations
- Experience of both rig-based and office support functions
- Able to harness practical experience to maximum advantage in support of day-to-day rig activities
- Proven ability to focus engineering and analytical capacity on specific areas of operation to improve overall efficiency
- Strong team player and good communicator able to interact with all levels of company and service company personnel
- Prior international experience in a multi-cultural environment would be advantageous
- Previous land-based assignments would be desirable
- Knowledge of Landmark's Drilling Database Management Systems (OpenWells) would be beneficial
- Good organization skills
- Knowledge of French would be an advantage