SENIOR CABLE ENGINEER - IAC required by our client, an offshore wind Operator, to be assigned on a Permanent basis, located in Boston, MA.
The Senior Cable Engineer will be responsible for providing engineering support to the Package Manager to ensure that cable systems are specified, designed, manufactured, factory and type tested, stored, loaded out onto installation vessel, transported, installed, terminated and tested according to project requirements.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Cable Engineer- IAC role is to support the Inter-Array Cables Package Manager to:
- Ensure that health and safety and environmental requirements are fully considered and adhered to in design to ensure compliance with legislation and industry best practice.
- Provide professional advice on engineering strategies / risk levels and commercial agreements to the package, to ensure that cost effective technical solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile is fully understood by the project.
- To ensure that all cables are designed, manufactured, tested, jointed, terminated and tested after installation according to project requirements.
- Deliver consistent, high quality, cost effective engineering advice to the IAC package and project.
- Manage the certification process with independent verification bodies (where applicable) to reduce design risk and enhance asset value.
- To provide electrical engineering services to support the Cable Package Manager to accomplish project and team objectives.
- To manage the completion of engineering studies by a third-party engineering consultant to complete due diligence checks of Contractor's design proposals.
- To manage technical interfaces between the cables package and other packages in the project.
- Manage the inspection and commissioning of appropriate aspects of offshore plant to ensure that assets are supplied and installed to the required quality and engineering standards.
- Maintain full awareness of the latest technical and commercial developments and identify suitable new technology that has the potential to reduce cost and risk or improve safety.
- Implement offshore standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements for key work packages to ensure that packages are delivered according to specification, budget and programme without compromising safety.
- Ensure that appropriate lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm development and construction are captured and shared across the different Offshore Project work packages. Collaborate with the Lead/Principal Engineer to ensure that the engineering team implements them to enhance business value.
Planning and Organising:
- Manage and resolve a range of technical/engineering issues within key packages on a day to day basis.
- At short notice, act upon problems and ad-hoc projects without losing focus on major ongoing workload.
- Ability to manage complex packages which require interface and precise coordination with multiple disciplines (structures, turbines, electrical cables, offshore substations, ports, vessels).
- Ability to manage people at multiple international projects and sites.
- Advise Principal/Lead Engineer, Package Lead or Discipline Manager on the impact of technical/specialist risks and issues, and the viability of solutions recommended.
- Balance technical detail with commercial needs and provide recommendations, taking into account all relevant risks.
Front End Engineering Design (FEED):
- Design of cable system specifications
- Cable size optimisation
- Cable route design optimisation
- Cable burial risk assessment
- Review the suitability of technical documents prepared by contractors or other consultants.
Cable system procurement:
- Preparation of contract technical requirements specification for use in an invitation to tender for the Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Installation (EPCI) of inter-array cable system.
- Review, clarification and evaluation of bids submitted by suppliers
Cable EPCI contract management:
- Ensure Quality, Health, Safety and Environment requirements are met at all times
- Review of contractor's documents to ensure they meet contract requirements
- Attendance at factory acceptance tests
- Participation in meetings with the project team and/or contractor as required
Provide discipline specific expertise and knowledge:
- Adhoc external project expertise and expert network
- Develop project specifications for cables and accessories
- Participate in meetings with cable and cable accessories suppliers
- Provide regular report on activities and risk (weekly)
- Ensure lessons learned are socialised and shared with the wider business, including innovations, opportunities and equipment failures
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Educated to Degree level in relevant engineering discipline.
- Substantial experience in a relevant field (offshore wind or oil and gas preferable).
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other IT based project management software.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering procedures, standards and guidance.
- Experience of working in highly skilled teams.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Flexibility to travel around Europe and the USA.
- Health and safety management skills.
- Experience of engineering design and delivery.
- Knowledge and experience of offshore/marine sector
- Knowledge and experience of high voltage power cables - submarine
- Knowledge and experience of fibre optic cables - submarine