Estimator required by our client, an international oil and gas Contractor, to be assigned on a Permanent basis, located in Chicago, IL.
- Prepare portions of estimates for one or more specific techniques related to specialty foundation construction including the determination of applicable project plans and specifications.
- Knowledge and expertise of geotechnical construction a plus
- Advanced knowledge of estimating techniques and cost control, plus ability to interpret computerized cost data and systems essential.
- Software skills to include: HCSS Heavy Bid, Excel, PowerPoint, Word (Microsoft office)
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work, attend pre-bid meetings, conduct site visits, interact with operations staff to develop work approach, prepare quantity takeoffs and input data into computerized estimating software (HCSS Heavy Bid)
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Work directly with staff and operations department on completing various project estimates and documentation
- Manage the available bid time to insure accurate and timely preparation of a assigned portion of estimate.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimates figures including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
- Organize and detail the estimate so that it can be easily understood for review purposes and efficiently turned over to field personnel
- Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts and productivity analysis reports, etc. into current estimates
- Ensures estimate accuracy to the maximum extent reasonable and achievable
- Maintain the highest standards of professionalism, fairness and ethical behavior when representing Nicholson to clients, engineers, vendors, and partners
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide ranging climates and environments
- Travel is required for this role
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
Education & Training
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Construction Engineering or equivalent degree and experience.
- 3 or more years estimating experience,
- Cost Control and/or Project Engineering/Management experience related to heavy highway or heavy industrial construction projects
- Lift, carry, pull and push at least 40 pounds
- Travel per the company travel policy, sometimes overnight and away from home
- Able to concentrate at a high degree in a busy and noisy construction environment
- Converse effectively using both verbal and written communication.
- Make decisions and assume accountability
- Concentrate on tasks
- Demonstrate ability to manage stress and emotions as related to the workplace
- Attention to detail
- Identify and resolve conflict
- Assess safety and risk