Civil/Structural Engineer required by our client, to be hired on a permanent basis in Houston, Texas.
The company is seeking a Senior Civil/Structural Engineer to join the engineering team developing the LNG Terminal. This position will follow the project from the early EPC phase through to startup, commissioning and initial operations. Location of work will initially be in the client's Houston office and the EPC Contractor's office in the Houston area before relocating to the terminal site in Brownsville as the project progresses into the next phase
- Strong working knowledge and experience as a Civil/Structural Engineer for an LNG facility is preferred, however, Petro-Chemical, NGL, cryogenic natural gas processing, or other hydrocarbon processing experience may be accepted.
- Minimum of 5 years as Lead Engineer is required.
- Must have strong aptitude to understand documents that define plant roads, deep and shallow foundations (building, structures and equipment), steel structures (modular and stick built) site drainage and general site improvement and civil works including the relevant engineering codes and standards.
- Ability to produce calculations and designs for shallow/deep foundations for equipment and structures (onshore), steel structures (modular and stick built)
- Skills must include the understanding of the design, specification, and construction of civil/structural work scopes. (per ASCE, AISC, IBC, ACI, OSHA, PIP).
- Be fully conversant with calculation methods applicable to civil/structural engineering deliverables.
- Strong knowledge of Engineering tools such as, STAAD Pro, Navisworks, Mat/Foundation 3D
- Experience as Field Engineer, supporting ongoing construction activities is preferred
- Experience in concrete spalling repair/mitigation and corrosion mitigation (NACE Certification) is a plus
- Serve as the Owner's Civil/Structural engineering subject matter expert during the engineering, construction, commissioning, startup and operation phases.
- Review deliverables from the EPC contractor to ensure accuracy and compliance with respect to the civil/structural works in accordance with safety standards, specifications, FEED design and contractual SOW requirements.
- Provide thorough and efficient engineering documentation review, comments and follow-ups required.
- Take part in internal technical reviews (design reviews, 3D model reviews, etc.)
- Early identification of concerns both in their own design and in their direct reports. Able to identify alternative solutions and decide on corrective measures in collaboration with the wider project.
- Be able to contribute and advise on civil issues on multi-discipline problems. Be able to reach the best solutions for the project in a collaborative manner.
- Understand, review and critique geotechnical reports and apply principles of geotechnical engineering to civil design aspects.
- Must be able to interface and respond to RFIs from internal stakeholders and EPC contractor and their sub-contractors.
- Working knowledge and ability to effectively analyze, organize and execute work to successful completion.
- Must be able to ensure deliverables are accurate and delivered in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the project is executed in accordance with the organization's safety regulations, with quality conformance and within schedule.
- Ensure efficient communication with EPC contractor, company engineering staff, operational and maintenance team members to prevent delays in execution of work
- As required, provide support in commissioning activities such as walk-downs, inspections and PSSR.
- Develop and/or apply civil project specifications, Basis of Design and department procedures
- Perform and produce inspection reports for plant structures.
- Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgement based on the analysis of multiple sources of information.
- Provide regular reporting of progress and early identification of potential delays.
- Contributing to project, corporate and external safety reviews
- Be able to work independently with minimal guidance when required
- Assist Engineering Manager in project set-up, estimate corresponding workhour effort, Civil/Structural material take-off's (when applicable), provide as needed corresponding scope of work and formulate timelines and milestones.
- Must have an accredited 4 year civil engineering degree, and be Texas Professional Engineering certified or able to demonstrate experience relevant to attain, NCEES registration is a plus
- At least 10 years in a similar role in an LNG facility is preferred, however, PetroChemical, NGL, cryogenic natural gas processing, or other hydrocarbon processing experience may be accepted.
- Ability to travel, when required. (Travel in this role is anticipated to be around 25%.)