DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING, to be hired on a permanent basis, located in Houston, Texas, USA.
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas
- Position reports to the VP, Projects & Engineering and is responsible for leading Products Pipeline Engineering staff; directing implementation of the overall project execution strategy; and accountable for delivery of capital projects (sustaining and expansion) in accordance with agreed performance targets.
- The Director also manages the activities of engineering and technical personnel, interfaces with other organisations (business development, operations, finance, procurement, EHS, etc.), and contracts for and supervises 3rd party personnel as required.
- Direct activities such as: development of conceptual & detailed scopes of work; development of cost estimates, schedules & associated performance targets; development of project execution and construction plans; and project execution through commissioning, start-up & handover to Operations.
- Effectively direct the planning, scheduling, and execution of multiple capital and major maintenance projects concurrently to meet pipeline business needs and expectations.
- Manage Project Management staff and contractors to ensure project budget & schedule expectations are achieved.
- Confer with and advise subordinates on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems & solutions, and priorities & methods.
- Oversee development of engineering standards, specifications, and policies & procedures required to optimize project delivery.
- Oversee projects in the Company's financial control system, review and manage commitments and expenditures, maintain accurate forecasts, and ensure compliance with PPL cost management policies & procedures.
- Monitor projects/activities to assure overall conformance to engineering standards, company and operations plans and objectives, as well as related contractual, regulatory, and company requirements.
- Ensure training and development of staff and manage employee performance formalized within the annual Performance Management Process.
- Consistently maintain and demonstrate a high regard for personal safety, and for the safety of company assets, employees, and the public.
- Support development and management of the annual sustaining capital budget.
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or equivalent professional experience.
- Training and experience in project management techniques, including engineering design, risk management, resource planning, execution planning, construction management, performance & integrity testing, and commissioning & handover.
- At least 10 or more years of related technical experience with a minimum of five years of experience in project management; major project experience is preferred.
- Must have strong communication skills, strong leadership skills, sound analytical skills, and feel comfortable making decisions and determining the appropriate course of action.
- Working knowledge of pipeline regulatory agencies such as PHMSA (DOT), OSHA, and various state counterparts.
- Familiarity with NEC, ASME, API, and ASTM specifications, standards, and recommended practices.
- A satisfactory driving record as determined by the Company and a current, valid State driver's license are required.
- If the employee is subject to license or certification requirements or training as stipulated by local, state or federal agencies or the Company, now or in the future, compliance is required under this job description.
- A highly technical environment and communicates with Group management, peers and subordinates in engineering and operations organisations to provide technical expertise and advice as well as coordinating PPL activities.
- Proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, Outlook, engineering design applications, and project management software.
- Familiarity with Primavera & risk assessment tools such as Pert Master, Crystal Ball, etc. is preferred.
- Well-balanced interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communications skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely for different types of audiences, and to deliver a presentation clearly and persuasively.
- Must be accountable and take direction from Managers; adhere to corporate ethics & conduct requirements and represent the client in a professional manner always.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks are essential.
- Must be a problem solver with the ability to find solutions and, if necessary, gain consensus among peers and stakeholders.
- Must be delivery focused, self-motivated, capable of working with minimal supervision and/or direction, and goal oriented.
- Must be flexible and able to work effectively in a team environment and consistently maintain a professional and respectful demeanour/attitude with co-workers, customers, partners, vendors, and regulatory agencies.
- Planning and Organising: Establish a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish specific goals; plan and prioritize proper assignments of personnel and/or appropriate allocation of resources.
- Analysis: Identify problems and/or cause-effect relationships; identify key issues; secure relevant information from all appropriate sources; identify possible root causes of problems and develop and implement corrective actions for resolution.
- Sound Judgment: Make decisions and/or act based on logical assumptions derived from factual information gathered; seek out information from established policies and procedures and/or knowledge experts; seek input from others.
- Initiative: Actively attempts to influence events to achieve goals; does not wait to be told but is a self-starter who acts to achieve goals beyond what is required.
- Effective and Professional Communication: Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management, employees, customers, vendors, and outside regulatory agencies at the local, state and federal level; clearly and effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Leadership: Utilise appropriate interpersonal styles and methods in guiding individuals/department (subordinates, peers, superiors) or groups toward task accomplishment. Consistently adhere to policies and procedures and be a positive example for others by demonstrating the Company's core values of Safety, Integrity, Accountability, and Excellence.
- Maximizes Performance: A key requirement is establishing performance goals for staff and project team(s), coaching performance to continuously improve, providing training and ongoing performance evaluation, and administering disciplinary action when necessary.
- Integrity: Maintaining and promoting social, ethical and organizational values when conducting internal and external activities.