SENIOR ESTIMATOR required by our Client, to be hired on a contract basis, located in Trinidad.
Duration: 12 months
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas
- The Senior Estimator is responsible for ensuring that best practices are applied to project work breakdown structure and cost estimate preparation, cost control and reporting.
- The incumbent will contribute to and actively participate in resource and productivity estimating, review of tenders and quotes and change orders.
- The position will work closely with the Project Planner/Scheduler as well as with the Project Engineers to develop robust project cost estimate, control and reporting outcomes.
- Applies robust project cost estimating, control and reporting practices and the Clients Process principles for cost engineering.
- Works with Project Engineers to ensure the definition of the project scope in a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- In conjunction with Project Engineers, leads the development and validation of cost estimates, resource estimates, productivity estimates and budgets for all Portfolio Projects from a conceptual (Appraise) stage using our Clients and industry standard Cost Estimating norms.
- Uses the Earned Value Management (EVM) method of cost estimating and performance monitoring, reporting and controlling.
- Develops and maintains, cost estimating, control and reporting system for application to all of the clients Engineering projects.
- Develops and maintains the Clients Cost Estimating Rate Book, based on Gulf Coast, Industry and norms.
- Develops control estimates and budgets (annual and multi-year) and ensures these reflect the approved project scope.
- Develops and maintains cost information in a cost reporting database.
- Develops monthly expenditure and commitment forecasts in conjunction with Project Engineers.
- Analyses recent historical actual costs to produce cost rates for future estimates.
- Develops and maintains cost trend analysis and reports.
- Identifies areas of project cost reductions and communicates these to Project Engineers.
- Undertakes cost risk analyses on major projects using Monte Carlo analysis methods.
- Supports preparation of advance commitment or full funding estimates and budgets.
- Examines and evaluates the Contractor's cost control organization, plans, procedures and performance.
- Reviews contractor estimates for completeness and accuracy.
- Forecasts and report costs and schedule for all project phases from inception to closeout and manages this information using project management software.
- Coaches the Project Engineers to develop their ability to produce basic project cost estimates.
- Conducts briefing sessions for project team members with respect to cost control requirements and processes.
- Rolls up cost estimates across many projects as well as does cost analysis across projects to identify potential cost savings.
- Generates and maintains current cost curves for all projects.
- Assists with the recasting of the WBS cost estimate into a control budget and monitoring commitments, incurred costs, expenditures and variances through all phases of the project.
- Supports Project Engineers and Procurement Officers in commercial bid evaluations (as required).
- Compares cost information maintained by the Project Controls Group to that maintained by Finance Department to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Identifies and analyses differences in project control reporting and proposes resolutions to mitigate such differences in the future.
- Proposes modifications to the clients' code of accounts as required for future adoption.
- Cooperates with audit activities with respect to project cost controls.
- Cooperates in ensuring that the workplace is safe for everyone and takes reasonable care to ensure that nothing is done to endanger self or others or cause avoidable damage to the environment.
- Demonstrates adherence to the clients HSSE policies and procedures by exhibiting the required behaviors.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- The incumbent will be a seasoned cost estimator with a minimum of fifteen (15) years' experience in multidiscipline hydrocarbon or petrochemical plant industry cost estimating, control and reporting functions.
- A cost engineering certification such as Certified Cost Engineer from AACE or other relevant qualification an advantage.
- Experience with Primavera an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of project cost control principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong coaching skills
- Excellent team skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Knowledge of the stage gate process for major project development.
- Knowledge of cost risk analysis.
- Competence in the Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project