MECHANICAL ENGINEER required by our client, to be hired on a permanent basis, located in Houston, Texas, USA.
- The Mechanical Engineer carries out a variety of complex design/drafting assignments. Investigates and obtains all data required to develop a design.
- Works with Engineering to construct 3D models in SolidWorks.
- Plays an active role in the development of original designs or adaptations requiring specialized experience.
- Infrequent supervision required.
- Creates drawings, specifications, etc. of new technology or applications and ensures that assignments meet standards and performance requirements within area of expertise.
- Provides high level technical interface between customer, engineering and sub-contractors to determine root-cause of problems and to develop effective solutions. Provides thorough investigation and analysis for project requirements including safety and environmental compliance issues and technical review of equipment, instrumentation and material needs.
- Anticipates potential problems, and proactively solves complex problems through creative thinking using internal and external resources.
- Tests and evaluates prototypes and models to determine design limits and needed improvements. Prepares test reports and closure reports on assignments.
- Uses the CAD/CAM and database systems and facilities to make layouts, analyze designs, evaluate equipment systems and generate new equipment designs.
- Creates and prepares documentation, information, communications and engineering specifications and ensures conformance to all policies and procedures related to engineering functions, labour reporting and systems reporting. Supports proposal efforts when needed.
- Develops reports, correspondence, procedures, specifications and technical calculations. Prepares technical data and papers for sales personnel, customers and publications using good internal presentation and report writing skills.
- May organize and lead teams using multi-disciplinary and matrix management techniques. Assists with the development of new professionals.
- Obtains patents where appropriate.
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required; preferably in Mechanical Engineering plus 10 - 15 years of relevant experience in a specialized area or product line
- Master's degree plus 5 -7 years' experience or a PhD with two years of experience will also be accepted
- Specialist knowledge of related product line or significant knowledge of multiple technologies, products and applications. Working knowledge of competing and alternative technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to apply advanced laws, principles, theorems and mathematics in the improvement and development of new technologies.
- Experience in creating or reviewing production drawings (weldments and machining)
- Experience with hydraulics, such as HPU's, winches, etc. is a plus
- Experience in designing mechanical equipment (sheaves, winches, etc.)
- Proficient in classical analysis methods and in writing equipment specifications
- Strong command of English language; highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Strong knowledge in SolidWorks and AutoCAD for 3D part and assembly modelling, layout and design and working
- Some understanding of internal economic factors affecting projects to which assigned (cost, margins, profit impact of decisions)
Working knowledge of:
- specific technologies, procedures, products and applications related product line - exposure to other lines plus some knowledge of competitor products
- SolidWorks for 3D part and assembly modelling, layout and design and working with designers to create 2D drawings from SolidWorks models
- Knowledge of trends & economic conditions affecting the technical field AutoCAD
Demonstrated ability to:
- conceptualize designs and develop unique solutions for complex technical problems that include the design of new systems or development of solutions having few or no precedents
- apply advanced laws, principles, theorems and mathematics in the improvement and development of new technologies
- create functional & cost-effective designs that meet specification requirements with supervision