METOCEAN AND ENERGY ASSESSMENT MANAGER required by our client, an international renewable Company, to be assigned on a Permanent basis, located in Boston, MA.
This position will be accountable for designing the metocean and energy assessment strategy for a large-scale offshore wind energy project and executing that strategy through their own efforts and those of the team they will lead and manage in close collaboration with the rest of the project team. The metocean and energy assessment strategy and approach must align with the approved business case determined by the project's Board of Directors. The primary responsibility of this position will be ensuring that the meteorological campaigns, site condition studies, wind turbine layout and yield assessment are conducted according to best industry practices and in a timely and cost-effective manner allowing for delivery of projects with a competitive cost of energy providing the targeted return for the shareholders. This will require strong substantive knowledge and skills in the wind resource and oceanic conditions fields and having been involved in offshore wind energy, as well as the capabilities needed to lead the metocean and energy assessment work package. The Metocean and Energy Assessment Manager will report to Project's Technical Director and work closely with the rest of the project team led by the Project Executive Committee. The role also requires thoughtful coordination and cooperation with the pertinent staff of the project's shareholders offshore teams in order to capture the lessons learned from the clients project portfolios and tap into (through consultation and appropriate other engagement) the skills and experience of relevant client personnel not directly working on the project.
- Be accountable for ensuring that the Metocean and Energy Assessment studies function has the required capabilities, skills and capacity to deliver on its objectives, on time and on budget.
- Be accountable for ensuring that the Wind and Metocean Investigation studies function has the required capabilities, skills and capacity to deliver on its objectives, on time and on budget.
- Actively engage all technical contractors in the aims and values of the project needed over the development phase.
- Be responsible for running the Energy Yield studies including assessment of energy losses due to lack of performance of actual power curves compared to sales/contractual curves and to wind farm availability.
- Be accountable for providing wind and meteocean data for the Basis of Design according to the objectives and requirements of the projects.
- Be responsible for reporting to the Technical Director on Metocean and Energy Assessment studies achievements against objectives.
- Be accountable for defining an energy yield and meteocean assessment methodology (including measurement devices) with regards to the design requirements and the objectives of the projects.
- Be accountable for defining a wind and meteocean measurement strategy (including measurement devices) with regards to the design requirements and the objectives of the projects.
- Be responsible for monitoring and assessing the performance of meteorological installations
- Be responsible for monitoring and assessing the performance of meteorological installations.
- Be accountable to provide all the technical support needed related to wind assessment and meteocean investigation issues and notably :
- Provide support to the project certification coordinator as needed
- Provide support to external due diligences as needed
- Provide support to identify and mitigate the site-related technical risks in both the current and subsequent project phases
- Be accountable for managing the weather modelling including data and software dedicated to assess the different scenarios and provide support to the Construction Manager and to the O&M Manager.
- In coordination with construction and procurement, to run sensitivity analysis based on the offers from the market and assess the impact on weather downtimes and project schedule.
- In coordination with operation and maintenance, to run sensitivity analysis based on the offers from the market and assess the impact on wind farm availability and annual energy production.
- Act as Technical Interface with the market for the weather forecasting and weather monitoring equipment requirements defined in the site investigation and marine construction roadmaps.
- Be accountable to develop the meteorological campaign strategy agreed and notably:
- Provide support to request for proposals, assess offers and select preferred technical subcontractors for wind measurement devices in compliance with the budget and in connection with the commercial/purchasing team
- Negotiate contracts with the selected subcontractors in connection with the commercial team
- Monitor sub-contractors to ensure guidelines are maintained
- In coordination with GIS manager, be accountable to gather and coordinate all WTG layout constraints coming from other members of the team and notably from development and Permitting & Environment teams.
- Be accountable for defining and optimizing the WTG layout according to the objectives and requirements of the projects. Propose compromise whenever needed taking into account the constraints and the impact on the expected annual energy production
- In coordination with other technical team members, be accountable for dealing with the topics related to the WTG manufacturer (site suitability study, power curve, support to the TSA, SMA…)
- Be accountable for providing inputs to Business Model (DEVEX and CAPEX related to wind assessment, energy yield and meteocean investigation) and to engineering team with regards to the objectives of the projects
- Be accountable for ensuring that wind assessment and meteocean investigation matters are in accordance with legislation, ethics, industry standards, tender technical requirements, regulatory aspects and project policies
- Master's degree in engineering
- Experience in development of wind projects, wind resource and meteocean assessment 3 to 5 years.
- Experience in tenders and financing due diligences of offshore wind projects.
- Experience in implementing and managing offshore wind and oceanic measurement campaigns.
- Experience in validation of floating lidar campaigns against the requirements from Carbon Trust Offshore Wind Accelerator Roadmap
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment.
- Experience of working in a consortium or joint venture.
- Understanding of Microsoft products and/or complementing products preferred.
- Competency in Analytical Problem Solving, Strong Communication, Customer/Partner Relationships, and Technology Expertise preferred
- Travel Required: 10% - 30%