QUALITY ENGINEER (TUNNELS)
A Quality Engineer is required to work for a major infrastructure project working for a large construction client to be hired on a staff basis in Birmingham.
Role and Responsibilities
– Implement the BBV Way quality management system, which governs how BBV plan, manage and discharges its assurance obligations
– Advise on the preparation of project quality documents and ensure these documents are prepared by competent people and that they are reviewed and revised as necessary e.g. IPTs
– Utilise systems and processes for the management and control of site information, data, design and construction related documentation and records
– Review subcontractors and other supplier’s assurance and provide guidance and training to construction team to deliver this approach
– Reviewing the quality procedures of sub-contractors and suppliers and when necessary, undertaking audits of their Quality Management Systems
– Working with design teams to ensure the coordination of interfaces with Statutory Undertakers, Network Rail, Rail Systems contractors, Enabling Works contractors and Others
– Supporting the construction teams establish test and inspection plans for review and acceptance prior to construction activities being undertaken
– Maintaining a close working relationship with project team to ensure the incorporation of buildability and maintainability, whole life value, sustainability and safety requirements in design, construction, operations and maintenance
– Establishing a "right first time” culture to design development, planning, and construction of the works and developing a collaborative and progressive approach to assurance
– Regularly audit the project against the defined quality and assurance arrangements, including field auditing of production teams. Report on the results of surveillance and audit
– Report against quality performance KPIs. Analysing their results and reporting causes of failure to project management.
– Manage the non-conformance process and communicate lessons learned
– Contributing to the continued improvement of quality performance through performance review and identification of appropriate training/coaching.
– Support and develop quality engineers
– Demonstrate the BBV behaviour
– Collaborate relentlessly
– Ensure a relentless focus on Health & Safety
Skills and Experience
– Experience of Major Civil Engineering projects, preferably tunnelling.
– Extensive experience of construction in the UK Nuclear sector
– Knowledge and experience of working to UK and international standards and codes of practice for the UK Nuclear sector.
– Quality subject matter expertise and proven track record in Quality Management
– Preferably with experience of working in a construction environment, with Mechanical, Civil and electrical knowledge.
– Confident in working with Senior Management and able to challenge existing ways of working to support business improvement
– Build strong relationships with delivery teams and project managers.
– Training and facilitation skills and experience
– A formal qualification in Quality Management e.g. Diploma in Quality Management (UK Chartered Quality Institute, British Standards Institute or equivalent)
– Preferably trained ISO 9001 Lead Auditor and/or Internal Auditor
– Either a CQI Member or working towards membership
– Working knowledge of Lean and Six Sigma.
– Previous experience of managing a team.
– Competent user of modern office computer systems e.g. Microsoft Office
– The following qualities/experience are also essential;
– Has an ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts.
– Pays attention to detail and sees things through to completion.
– Can deliver reports orally and written in an objective and persuasive manner.
– Has good interpersonal and communication skills
– Is a self-starter who manages their own time and seeks to add value to their function.
– Is able to work within a multi-discipline team.
– Able to command respect across the business and within the Function.
– Is good at building relationships and can influence effectively.
– Can demonstrate initiative and resilience.
– CSCS Card Holder
If you are a Quality Engineer looking for work in Birmingham, please don’t hesitate to apply now!